Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 8  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 58 »
indiajuliet
Post subject: Balearic Islands (AU) in FDPosted: July 6th, 2012, 3:33 pm
Following on from my main Balearic Islands AU thread here which gives more background details to the AU with the structure of the Royal Balearic Air Force / Forca Aeria Reial de Balears detailed, and the other armed forces coming soon. I will now post my FD scale drawings here.

To start with, the full 2020 aircraft fleet of the Royal Balearic Coastguard / Guardia Costanera Reial de Balears
4x CN-235, 12x AW149 and 2x Harfang

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

The full compliment of 2 Group RBAF, Combat Command, consisting of 3 Typhoon FGR4 squadrons and 1 OCU with T3's

[ img ]
[ img ]

The Army Cooperation Squadrons of 4 Group RBAF, Joint Helicopter Command, of which some are supporting NATO ISAF operations in Afghanistan, consisting of squadrons of AW101 Merlin, AW129 Mangusta, AW149 and AW159 Lynx Wildcat

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Others coming soon hopefully!

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Balearic Islands (AU) in FDPosted: July 6th, 2012, 5:49 pm
Nice, one thing I would say is all things considered I'd probably change the scheme of the helicopters to one of olive green and middle stone, the desert pink setup stands out a bit despite the Balearic's position. Otherwise, impressive especially the card-deck markings =D

[Profile] [Quote]
nighthunter
Post subject: Re: Balearic Islands (AU) in FDPosted: July 7th, 2012, 7:18 am
Nice thus far, and I echo Blackbuck in that Desert Pink is not the proper choice for your Helicopter's camo.

[Profile] [Quote]
Glorfindel
Post subject: Re: Balearic Islands (AU) in FDPosted: July 7th, 2012, 10:46 am
I like the pink camouflage. Pink is a good camouflage colour for the sky (see British Aerospace Nimrod).

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Balearic Islands (AU) in FDPosted: July 7th, 2012, 10:57 am
That's not pink as I've stated before. It is hemp. Also helicopters don't generally operate at 30,000ft do they?

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Balearic Islands (AU) in FDPosted: July 7th, 2012, 12:48 pm
These helicopters would fly over sea,so it better to paint them in a light grey (see Marina Militare AB-212) as they are now.Photos you can find in www.airliners.net,searching for "Italy,Navy" in tag "airline" of Photo Gallery.

[Profile] [Quote]
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: Balearic Islands (AU) in FDPosted: July 7th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Coloring aside, all your aircraft look great.

[Profile] [Quote]
indiajuliet
Post subject: Re: Balearic Islands (AU) in FDPosted: July 8th, 2012, 8:28 pm
Blackbuck wrote:
Nice, one thing I would say is all things considered I'd probably change the scheme of the helicopters to one of olive green and middle stone, the desert pink setup stands out a bit despite the Balearic's position. Otherwise, impressive especially the card-deck markings =D
nighthunter wrote:
Nice thus far, and I echo Blackbuck in that Desert Pink is not the proper choice for your Helicopter's camo.
Thanks! I thought that the desert pink actually suited the islands quite well, as some parts have quite an arid landscape and light colour generally. I know it isn't quite a desert, but given their ops in Afghanistan as well, maybe a single colour fleet would also be good for logistics, ie. if helicopters need to be sent/returned from Afghanistan but also save money. I did have a look at the RN/RM Lynx camo of green and grey, but I think it would stand out more than desert pink in that kind of environment. Ideally, I'd quite like to try an MTP/multicam-type camo, but I'm finding it almost impossible to replicate, and I'm sure would never be applied to any aircraft due to the number of different colours/complication of applying the layers, which may even reduce the effectiveness of multiple colours. I'll try testing some other colour schemes.

The idea for the card deck markings come from my memories of RN Rescue Sea King's in Cornwall from 771 NAS with playing cards on the underside. They were always 'clubs', but very distinctive markings none the less.
Glorfindel wrote:
I like the pink camouflage. Pink is a good camouflage colour for the sky (see British Aerospace Nimrod).
Thanks! As Blackbuck said, I think you must be confusing it with hemp Nimrod's for low observability, although they have also been painted in the darker desert colours.
odysseus1980 wrote:
These helicopters would fly over sea,so it better to paint them in a light grey (see Marina Militare AB-212) as they are now.Photos you can find in http://www.airliners.net,searching for "Italy,Navy" in tag "airline" of Photo Gallery.
These helicopter squadrons are 'army cooperation' squadrons of the Joint Helicopter Command, so are painted for land ops, whereas the navy coop helicopters that I will post up here later when done will be primarily for maritime ops. Thanks for the reference though, I will have a look.
travestytrav25 wrote:
Coloring aside, all your aircraft look great.
Thanks!

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Balearic Islands (AU) in FDPosted: July 9th, 2012, 2:55 am
After a quick image search of the Balearic Islands, I was thinking perhaps green, tan and black would work for the helicopters? Similar to what Australia uses, it could be effective in the Med?

[Profile] [Quote]
indiajuliet
Post subject: Re: Balearic Islands (AU) in FDPosted: July 9th, 2012, 1:52 pm
Rowdy36 wrote:
After a quick image search of the Balearic Islands, I was thinking perhaps green, tan and black would work for the helicopters? Similar to what Australia uses, it could be effective in the Med?
Yes, thanks for the suggestion, I've tried a scheme with paler colours, and without the black to make it better suit the Mediterranean landscape, similar to the Royal Navy/Royal Marines camouflage, but with desert pink instead of stone. I think it looks rather nice, definitely an improvement on just plain desert pink, and it seems to be very similar to camo used in Portugal. I've also done a CN-235 in these colours. What do you think?

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 8  [ 75 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 58 »

Jump to: