Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 5  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Missoula-Class CG:sPosted: October 21st, 2012, 8:38 pm
The people on this board who pointed out (and I believe it was Thiel) that Greece never would've been able to manage a complex missile ship, such as the imaginary Mesolonghi, are, of course, quite right. One nation, and one nation only, was capable of doing that, in such a way as to ensure the vessels continued operability. That country is the United States. So, I decided to tweak the previous design some, by shuffling a few things around and adding a Tartar twin launcher abreast the forward superstructure, renaming the ship the USS Missoula (CG-13), and imaginary unit of the Boston/Oregon City classes. One more ship was so rebuilt; the USS Frederick (CG-14). I considered fitting two Tartar per side, but remain undecided, since there's a value to the retention of the beam 5" guns (maybe not so much anymore the twin 3" gun mount, but that's another issue!)
Anyway, I'm posting it here to get input from you, esteem bucketeers:
[ img ]

Last edited by bezobrazov on October 21st, 2012, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Missoula-Class CG:sPosted: October 21st, 2012, 8:52 pm
That's one hell of a cruiser!
But you forgot to update to the latest version the 5-inch director near the forward mack, and anyway, wouldn't be it too much to have three of them for only 2 5-inch mounts? (since you have already two abreast of the aft mack?) :P

(i must definitely decide to push myself and do that conversion on my uss Montana too, just for the sake to fill an old battlewagon with missiles :lol: )

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Missoula-Class CG:sPosted: October 21st, 2012, 9:00 pm
Yup, you're probably right about the update on that Mk34 director. However, having the third one is a good way to ensure that you have an extra channel for guidance of the Terriers! That's the reason why I left it in place. In other words: it has a dual purpose.

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: Missoula-Class CG:sPosted: October 21st, 2012, 9:39 pm
I'm not a big fan of misile cruisers, but I must say I love this design.

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Missoula-Class CG:sPosted: October 22nd, 2012, 1:08 am
That SPS-30 is seriously out of date, and is horribly bad and wrong and badwrong. Darth Panda's drawings have the new, good version.

On a ship with so so much need for fiddly maintenance, I don't see the preservation of both 3/50 and 5/38 (and their associated, different directors) as being at all likely. That crew volume is necessary to keep Terrier and Tartar in some semblance of operation.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Missoula-Class CG:sPosted: October 22nd, 2012, 1:39 am
I'll change the SPS-30, by all means. As for your suggestion to land the guns, I'll tell you that I've entertained that idea myself. I left them there to gauge the community's reaction. So, that leads me to ask: Can I put a second Tartar-launcher where the guns are?

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Missoula-Class CG:sPosted: October 22nd, 2012, 2:43 am
erik_t wrote:
On a ship with so so much need for fiddly maintenance, I don't see the preservation of both 3/50 and 5/38 (and their associated, different directors) as being at all likely.
You can do what they did on Albany and put an open 5/38 mount there. At least removing the turret should free something up, and you'd also have the associated handling rooms left in place. Either way If you want to keep either the 5/38s or 3-inch guns, I'd ditch the other.

Also, your Tartars are see-through :P

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Missoula-Class CG:sPosted: October 22nd, 2012, 3:10 am
Oh, craps! You're right! Need to whiten it! One example of not seeing the trees because of the forest. And, yes, I've decided to keep the 3" mount. Less weight and in a more favorable position.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Missoula-Class CG:sPosted: October 22nd, 2012, 3:24 am
While I don't personally love the top-heavy feel these missile cruisers have, it really is an excellent drawing
Fantastic design!

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Missoula-Class CG:sPosted: October 22nd, 2012, 3:49 am
I'm the opposite, I love the topheavy feel, and hope you make more of them. Keep up the amazing work!

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 5  [ 43 posts ]  Return to “Personal Designs” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: