Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Western_1
Post subject: Re: Aerodynamic seaplanesPosted: June 2nd, 2015, 1:58 am
Oberon_706 wrote:
Keep it up Krases!! looking good :)
I will try to do better with the sheeting and joints, I actually re-did it about 3 times to try and get the sheeting to look ok. Shadows are looking good I think, shadows are something I had trouble with when I tried a little bit of FB scale stuff.

P-39s/63s had a little car door on the side to get in and out, no sliding canopy. It was a bit hard to evoke that. When I play Warthunder it definitely shows a unique interior layout.
Oberon_706 wrote:
I'm with you on the Blackburn planes Hood - the B.44 would have been fantastic in the Island-hopping pacific fighting and would have solved the problem of convoy air protection without having to resort to one-way mission CAM hurricanes. Such an aircraft might have done good things for Battleship/Cruiser anti-air protection as well - better to have two or three b.44s to scare the Zero's and Betty's away than a pair of supermarine walrus amphibs!
I definitely think they would have filled a valuable niche. I am planning a large battleship that has its own CAG of these things. Sort of like the battleship Ise with its 22 plane catapult launched compliment. Right now I plan on revising the fighter I designed a bit more, then making a dedicated long range observation plane and then a bomber. For my AU, I would like to explore carrier-battleship hybrids that are mostly battleship with a little carrier thrown in.

[Profile] [Quote]
Western_1
Post subject: Re: Aerodynamic seaplanesPosted: June 4th, 2015, 6:08 am
Ok, I have a new plane. A nine engine Catamaran using nine 6800hp Turbo prop engines. This rather massive design is intended to ferry people around the lakes and rivers of my AU's primary nation of focus. Only a dozen or so were built, as they only filled a geographic niche between regions not yet serviced by high speed rail and regions that had a need to shift large numbers of people and supplies into semi-remote areas. They were replaced by conventional jet aircraft, but a number still fly into the modern era as flying tourist attractions.

A single hulled, 6 engine variant (which just happens to look exactly like this from the side...) saw limited use as an international airliner before being beaten on economics by early jet liners. This was a post war project (the war in question being somewhat analogous to WW2) in a time when the central nation I am focusing on in my AU experienced a post war lull, followed by a massive boom. This is one of the products of that boom period.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Oberon_706
Post subject: Re: Aerodynamic seaplanesPosted: June 4th, 2015, 10:18 am
Its certainly impressive to say the least! Your detail and presentation is improving out of sight. Jedi Master says; Well done my young Padawan. :)

Don't do it just because I said so (its your design after all) but have a think about the following to adjust/improve your design.

- think about the fuselage aerodynamics (especially the 'nose' of the aircraft)
- reconsider the profile/shape of the 'hull'. I suggest looking at exemplars such as the R3Y Tradewind, Martin Mars, Hughes 'spruce goose' and other large seaplanes for inspiration.
- have another look at the intersection of the engine nacelles and the wing, as well as the wing root and the fuselage.
- Again use exemplar aircraft to re-examine the tailplane and horizontal stabilizers. The relative proportions are plausible for an aircraft of this size, but the shape and other details need some work I think.
- If the main subject of your post is a 9-engined catamaran (i Assume two parallel fuselages, with a bridging section of some kind) perhaps a frontal view would be a good idea to more clearly communicate your designs 'unique' features.

Again well done - happy to see that you are taking to this like a duck to water (or a seaplane to a mirror-calm lake perhaps?) Look forward to the next iteration &/or further inventive AU designs.

[ img ]

DCFI (Falkland Islands) AU Nation

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Aerodynamic seaplanesPosted: June 4th, 2015, 10:38 am
Catamaran seaplanes I can think of is the Savoia Marchetti S.55 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savoia-Marchetti_S.55) and the larger S. 66 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savoia-Marchetti_S.66)

Another useful link : http://www.alternatehistory.com/discuss ... p?t=258845

[Profile] [Quote]
Western_1
Post subject: Re: Aerodynamic seaplanesPosted: June 4th, 2015, 5:38 pm
I definitely based this design very heavily off the original plans for the H4 Hercules. You can definitely see where I got the nose from. I went for a 3-3-3 engine arrangement instead of a 2-4-2 arrangement, partially so I could squeeze an extra engine in but also so I could bring the hulls closer together. I will at some point work on a top-down or frontal view. Probably whichever is easier to be honest. The good thing is I am getting a lot faster with photoshop when it comes to working on these things. I will probably return to me battleship-shipbucket for a time, but I might pump out some small aircraft when I need a break from that.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Aerodynamic seaplanesPosted: June 4th, 2015, 5:48 pm
Very nice work and some interesting designs, krases!
While I can see the shape of the hulls coming from the picture you've shown, the tail doesn't seem right. I would recommend having the trailing edge approaching vertical.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Western_1
Post subject: Re: Aerodynamic seaplanesPosted: June 4th, 2015, 5:55 pm
I actually based the tail on the real world Spruce Goose, the tail in the concept image would never be big enough for what is needed in that aircraft, so it was made a lot larger in my AU design.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Aerodynamic seaplanesPosted: June 4th, 2015, 6:00 pm
Even on the H-4 Hercules, it's not as drastic of an angle that you've drawn. Plus, you'll get more surface area if you bring the trailing edge back.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Western_1
Post subject: Re: Aerodynamic seaplanesPosted: June 4th, 2015, 11:26 pm
Ok I googled what a trailing edge was and now I get it. Better?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Aerodynamic seaplanesPosted: June 4th, 2015, 11:34 pm
Yes, I think that looks much better.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 4  [ 36 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: