Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 29  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 529 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 24th, 2012, 4:30 pm
While the map is 625 x 375 miles (which gives 234 375 sq.miles, so about the size of Ukraine or Central African Republic, or bit less than Texas - 268 580 sq.miles), most of it is sea, while the landmass is only a fraction. Instead of math I simply tried to squeeze all the lands on the map as much as possible and in the end I turned that the actual land area is about 44 000 sq.miles (or even less), so a size of Bulgaria, Cuba, Honduras, Guatemala, Benin or Liberia (and btw. - why You're using Liberian flag? ;) ) or US state of Ohio.
Cuba, being an island, is probably most representative of these regarding the lenght of transport routes. It has 12000 km or railways (about 7500 miles), but around 2/3 used by sugar plantations, 60000 km (37500 miles) or roads, half of it paved.

Last edited by eswube on July 24th, 2012, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 24th, 2012, 4:31 pm
Rhade wrote:
Thiel wrote:
Denmark has some 70-odd thousand km of paved roads. Ad in the unpaved roads and that goes up by more than half.
Yeah, but Denmark is not some volcanic island archipelago. Lots of flat roads friendly space there. ;)
On the other hand Norway has some 90.odd thousand km of roads and that's hardly road friendly terrain.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 24th, 2012, 4:42 pm
eswube wrote:
(and btw. - why You're using Liberian flag? ;) )
That's not the flag of Liberia. The blue field on the Liberian flag only goes to the bottom of the 3rd red stripe. It actually looks more like the naval ensign of the Republic of Texas Navy, but it's not quite like that either. It's a unique flag, if not quite an original idea.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 24th, 2012, 4:51 pm
travestytrav25 wrote:
eswube wrote:
(and btw. - why You're using Liberian flag? ;) )
That's not the flag of Liberia. The blue field on the Liberian flag only goes to the bottom of the 3rd red stripe. It actually looks more like the naval ensign of the Republic of Texas Navy, but it's not quite like that either. It's a unique flag, if not quite an original idea.
Ok, ok... :P
So the question is: why You're using something that's almost identical to flag of Liberia or the naval ensign of the Republic of Texas Navy?

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 24th, 2012, 5:02 pm
It is kind of a mix betwen the American and Texas flag. The 12 lines signify the city-states, and the lone star is to resemble something along the lines of unity. The colors red, white, and blue, stand for strength, purity, and freedom.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 24th, 2012, 5:06 pm
I was actually implying changing the design, to something less exploited, but ok, whatever. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 24th, 2012, 5:11 pm
I'll work on it :lol:

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 25th, 2012, 5:11 am
Ok, so for my navy here is a basic outline.

Personnel: 55,000
4 Heavy Aviation Cruisers - Something along the lines of a Kiev
4 Heavy Cruisers - Something along the lines of a Heavy Tico/Kirov
8 Destroyers - Something along the lines of a Burke, or Light Tico
16-20 Frigates -Something along the lines of a Perry or similar ship
2 LPH - Something along the lines of a Mistal or Wasp
4 Landing Ship - Something along the lines of a Ropucha or Alligator (Russian Landing Ships)?
10-15 Submarines - basically diesel subs, and a few ballistic missile subs
1-2 Hospital Ships.

Does this sound reasonable?

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 25th, 2012, 6:22 am
Your the Second most powerful navy in the world in the carrier category and about on par with Russia and the UK in the other categories though i could be mistaken. THat would make you a super power essentially.
so In my opinion its quite large considering your nation has no natural enemy based on its location unless I'm missing something. I have trouble seeing the justification for such military might as you have no real enemy unless your planning on starting a war with New Zealand or you are planning out a nearby rival

I also think considering your relatively small population you military is overoptimistic sorry to say
also the GDP spent on your military is huge only China, Jordan, Eritrea, Georgia and Saudi Arabia have higher ones
just my two sense
hope this comes off as friendly advice and not snobish and sorry for any mistake made :D

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Republic of Denton: RevisitedPosted: July 25th, 2012, 8:06 am
Military spending-to-GDP ratio is one thing, though I have to admit that while important to keep any semblance of realism, trying to stick to it too hard would take away all the fun.
So my idea would be rather that maybe cutting the number of personnel a bit would be good (auxiliary vessels can be manned in similar way as Royal Fleet Auxiliary or Military Sealift Command, so maybe 35.000-40.000 + 5.000 RFA/MSC), and reducing number of "possible" task forces from 4 to 3 (3 CVV, 3 CG, 6 DDG, 12-18 FFG) with 2/3 of it active and 1/3 in reserve - that way You would have something similar in size to Royal Navy (even bit larger, actually).

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 29  [ 282 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 529 »

Jump to: