Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 11  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 611 »
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: June 4th, 2012, 7:42 pm
I would probably take the best characteriestics of all three aircraft, the F-105, A-7 and the F-8 and merge it into one aircraft (that looks like an F-8). I was also thinking to place a second seat behind the cockpit for a Radar intercept officer, to take some of the load off of the pilot. I would probably also increase the wing span from 35 feet (F-8), and 38 feet (A-7) to 40 to 45 feet, and add some more hard points.

-EZ-

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: June 4th, 2012, 8:15 pm
I think that gives you a really good concept for a decent sort of old-school fighter. And if you're going to make it a real fighter-interceptor you'll probably need a RIO, since the older radar systems were fairly labor intensive back then. Anyway, I think you've got a good idea for a fighter now, so I look forward to seeing what your concepts look like once you get them drawn.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: June 4th, 2012, 11:43 pm
It would be very interesting to see your new fighter but honestly nothing designed that long ago would be as capable as a modern fighter
Why not replace it with the Gripen its pretty cheap and is extremely capable especially the new versions under development
i Know you said you refer the older fighters but honestly they're pretty outdated today especially in the air to air role
it is possible though I guess if you were to upgrade your aircraft on the same lines the South African's made the Cheetah and the Israeli's the Mirage 3/Dagger/Kfir/Nammer
to get a reasonably capable fighter based on an old design
by the way have you thought about the Mirage F1
P.S. while a truly love the Crusader I don't think combining it with the A-7 would 100% work because the two aircraft were designed for completely different missions and therefore had different design compremises and I honestly have no idea how you will fit the Thud into that equation but sounds interesting
I look forward though to you proving me wrong and pulling it off :D

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: June 4th, 2012, 11:58 pm
...I did say there were things I didn't notice at first.

You don't need an under-fuselage radar blister if you're going to fit that radar in the nose.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: June 5th, 2012, 4:34 am
Well, to be honest, it all depends on if I can even draw it. That being said, I'll give it a shot. The whole plane is mainly going to be an F8-esque design, with a larger wingspan (for more hardpoints), be able to deliver around 15,000 lb of payload (like the F-105 and A-7), Mach 2 capability (F-105), and the better handling characteristics of the A-7 and F-105. And my whole intent with these aircraft is to keep them in service as long as possible, and keep upgrading them as time goes on. Then, when we truly cant get any more life out of them, we will replace them.

Radar in the nose. I can't believe I forgot about that :lol: . Is there anything else you can see wrong with the aircraft?

Thanks,
-EZ-

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: June 5th, 2012, 6:19 am
said simply:
larger wings and more payload = more drag
higher speed means less drag or more powerful engines
in other words: you are going to put 3 times the power of the original F-8 engines in it... good luck with that!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: June 5th, 2012, 6:33 am
So you're operating expensive long range (And judging by their score tabs very busy) nuclear bombers, but you don't want to spend money on modern fighters. I'm smelling a disconnect...

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: June 5th, 2012, 7:12 am
Not nuclear. Mostly conventional and thermobaric. The nuclear bomb drops were for testing only. 87-004 was originally built in 1949, and 87-104 was originally built in 1960. Those two bombers are the ones that have seen the most combat missions/bomb drops. Most of our bombers have typical mission counts ranging from 0 to 15 in their entire life so far. The 187 bomber family have been in service for the better part of 60 years, and like the B-52 and Tu-95, their wide range of uses and adaptability to almost any combat envrionment make them a great aircraft. Plus, for our country, they have been incredibly cheap to operate and maintain, thanks to a stong partnership with Atlanta Aircraft, and Eclair Motors. These aircraft have not only been adapted to the bomber role, but have been modified for Reconnaissance, Aerial Refueling (mid 80s), Airborne Control, Maritime Patrol, Cargo Transport, Passenger/Troop transport, Observation Platform, TestBed for new engines avionics and weapons systems, and Mother Ship for experimental aircraft.

After saying that, I can see I contradict my previous statement, so... I'll just work on that modern day fighter when I get to it ;) .

Just remember this: Everything I am working on is subject to change, as Denton and all of it's related assest are a work in progress.

And I have an update for the Model 187 'Condor'
[ img ]
EDIT: Fixed the Scale

-EZ-

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: June 5th, 2012, 9:27 am
If we take that "man" as scale of that plane ... well you will not need 6 engines, probably you don't even need 4 engines. Two will be enough to power up that small plane, size of little longer DC-3.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: June 5th, 2012, 6:42 pm
I'm not sure what you mean by that. This thing is bigger than the Convair B-36 Peacemaker.

I have a backstory written up for this particular aircraft.

Atlanta Aircraft Corporation, Model 187-104 'Condor' Heavy Bomber

This particular bomber, serial # 87-104, was built in 1961, as a part of the Denton Army Air Force's Strategic Bomber and Defense Command request for an newer 187 with an upgraded cockpit, avionics, and engine systems. Bomber 104 was the last 187 to come off the production line, until limited production resumed in 1995, and is over 50 years old, but still one of the younger ones.

Bomber 87-104 was the test aircraft for the Eclair Motors new turboprop, the EM-55TP, and when taken on it's first test flight on Novermber 4th, 1961, the pilots praised it's 1000hp power increase, while still maintaining the 12500nm range. The underslung turbojets were also a newer model. While still based on the original EM-55J series, the G2FE had 1500 more thrust than the earlier versions, and while it did have a slightly higher fuel consumption, the increase in speed made up for that. The new turboprops and turbojets increased cruise speed to 280 knots, and mission speed (speed when going over target to be bombed) to 430 knots. After test proved to be very successful, the landing gear however, failed on landing and the aircraft was sent to maintenance. Luckily, the crew members were not seriously injured. Even though the main test aircraft crashed on landing, the success of the new powerplants convinced the DAAF to convert all existing aircraft that used the older radials to the newer turboprops and turbojets.

After it's mishap on the runway in 1961, Bomber 87-104 lay in it's maintenance hangar for years until late 1964, when president to be Waldron Davis stumbled upon the aircraft during a tour of the Air Force Base. He exclaimed at how marvelous the aircraft was, and requested for it to be put back into service. After being inaugurated president in 1965, he asked to have Bomber 87-104 as the central aircraft in the flyover at his speech. During the flyover, many people marveled at the new 187, and at the time, many believed it was the presidential transport. Even after the Air Force and the President denied that, it was still a widely discussed subject. (While the first 187 was originally built in 1947, the aircraft never gained much media attention, due to the accusations of obselecence by many aviation buffs claiming that jet power was the future. Even though the aircraft was still open to public viewing and no secrecy was kept, it was only until the 1965 flyover that it gained much media attraction. Once it gained a foothold in the media, the history of the bomber was unveiled and many were dissapointed that they hadn't heard about it sooner). The U.S. Air Force soon sent requests to augment their bombing force with the new 187. The DAAF agreed, and sent the plane on bomber missions twice a week from Consolidated Airfield. Over the course of 5 years, Bomber 87-104 dropped 10,000,000lbs of bombs on multiple targets in Vietnam. Later in the war, people would gather near the fences of the base to see Bomber 87-104 come back from it's missions, and from the experiences of watching the massive bomber land after coming back from a mission to protect their freedoms, most people saw the model 187 as the Protector of Freedom. After the Vietnam War, the bomber was relegated to patrols and spent many years flying the waters around Denton. In 2001, 40 years after it was built, it was overhauled by AAC and the airframe rebuilt or modified as was needed, and it was put back into the air again. In 2005 Bomber 87-104 was replaced with another 187, and was sent back to it's home field. Currently, the bomber is on Active Alert at Consolidated Airfield, and runs training exercises every month. It always holds a load of thermobaric weapons, in case it is needed quickly by an ally or on of Denton's own forces. To keep the symbol strong, the DAAF was gracious enough to park Bomber 87-104 on the tarmac, close to a road, so that people can still bask in it's glory. The DAAF even posts takeoff times for the aircraft when it goes on a training mission, and people will line the fences to watch it take off, and then land again a few days later. Bomber 87-104 is currently 51 years old, and DAAF projects that it will stay in service until 2045, putting a good 84 years on the air frame. Not bad for a bomber that was designed in WWII.

Bomber 87-104 has been regarded as a symbol of national prestige, and can be seen throughout Denton even today on recruitment posters, commercials, stamps and it even has it's own coin, the 5 cent.

AAC Model 187-104, 1961

Crew 10

Length 175 ft
Wingspan 235 ft
Height 50 ft
Empty Weight 195000 lb
Loaded Weight 510000 lb
Max Weight 560000 lb

Powerplant 6x Eclair Motors EM-55TP-A1AT 5500hp Turboprops
4x Eclair Motors EM-55J-G2FE Turbojets, 7000 lbf

Cruise speed 280 kn
Max speed 450 kn
Range 12500 nm
Service Ceiling 45000 ft
Rate of Climb 1500 ft/min

Avionics 2x Norfolk Aerospace Systems A6T1B-F7 Flight Computer
Guns 1x 30 mm chaingun, 525 RPM
Bombload 110000 lb of various conventional, thermobaric, or thermonuclear bombs. Can also be modified to carry Anti Ship Missles, Anti Aircraft Missiles, and Air To Ground Missiles

Thanks for reading!
-EZ-

Last edited by ezgo394 on June 5th, 2012, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 11  [ 105 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 611 »

Jump to: