Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 7 of 11  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page « 15 6 7 8 911 »
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: July 9th, 2012, 2:55 am
Well, the reason I had the tip tanks was so I wouldn't have to draw the wing :lol: .

The engine is listed as a 35 cylinder, basically like the Wasp Major but with an extra row. For general specs, the diameter of the engine is 60 inches, bore and stroke are 6 inches, compression ratio is 6.85 to 1, RPM is 3555, and cylinder displacement is 169.65 (or 170). The 35 cylinder is twincharged, and has a supercharger and turbocharger for every row (or 2 rows, not sure yet), and that blister on top of the nacelle is where they are located. On another version I will post later is going to be the 35 cylinder engine, but it will be a Turbo-Compound Engine.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: July 9th, 2012, 11:03 pm
[ img ]

As listed:
87-004 as built with radial engines, no tip tanks, and a nose cannon.
87-104 as built/rebuilt with turbine engines and tip tanks.
A Model 187 with the Turbo-Compound Engines, and contra-rotationg propellers. Power output-5500 HP
A WIP of the tail sections, center sections, and nose sections that are offered by AAC. (Any comments on the refueling probe?)
And finally a basic layout of the interior of the bomber.

-EZ-

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: July 11th, 2012, 3:08 am
Everything looks pretty good to me. I'm not sure I would have gone with turbo-compound engines, but it's an interesting concept, and you're drawing of them is good. Your refueling probes seem to be about right for similarr aircraft such as the Tu-95. You may consider having some sort of retractable probe on the later models. And I like your interior layout of the bomber. It's interesting to see.

Have you thought about additional remote dorsal and ventral gun turrets on the earlier models? That would have been in keeping with contemporary bombers. In the later models you might remove all the guns together, including the tail guns, or make the tail guns remotely operated like on later versions of the B-52.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: July 11th, 2012, 6:11 am
Thanks for the positive reply ;) .
The turbo-compound engines are just a idea right now. I do know that the maintenance would be high, compared to jet engines or normal piston engines, but they do offer the highest efficiency of any aircraft engine, and that might make it worth the extra maintenance. As time goes on, better materials, maintenance practices, and technology could make this a viable powerplant.

The retractable probe is a good idea, and I did consider that. The only problem with that is the line of sight from the cockpit. I tried to position the probes so that the pilot can see exactly where the drouge is in relation to it. The only sensible place to put a retractable probe is on top of the fuselage, and on the earlier models (with the bubble canopy) it just isn't possible. On the later models it would work, but the probe would not be visible from the cockpit, and the pilot would have to have a good perception of distance to tell how close he is to making contact.

At first, I was going to have retractable turrets much like the B-36. Originally it was going to be 4 turrets on top (2 front, 2 rear), and 2 on bottom (rear), but after I modified the fuselage to prevent tailstrikes, I lost the position of the bottom turrets. I was thinking to completly ignore the B-36 design, and just have remote turrets that do not retract (like on the B-29) but I do not know if the drag woud be too much.
As for the tail gun, it will always be on the aircraft. I may eventually convert it to a remote operated turret, and use the empty space to add some electronic countermeasures equipment.

I am thinking about fielding ALBMs, but my problem is the mounting. I know that I have enough space to mount the Missiles, I know that with larger missles on bombers they are usually dropped and once they have reached a safe distance from the aicraft, the engines fire and they go to their intended target. I'm curious as how the missle will react to prop wash as they are released from the pylon. If anyone has any insight on this that would be great.

Thanks for your feedback!
-EZ-

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: July 12th, 2012, 4:04 am
In a slightly different era, here is the Model 65 'Scout.' This aircraft was first flown in 1939 and was the fighter that held off the Japanese attack on Denton in early 1941. It continued service late into the war, and proved a formidable fighter after several engine problems were addressed.
[ img ]

-EZ-

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: July 12th, 2012, 4:26 am
not bad pretty good actually
looks influenced by DP's P-43
I think it would be pretty obsolete by about 1943 though unless your facing second grade Japanese fights

References and feedback is always welcome!

Last edited by Trojan on July 12th, 2012, 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: July 12th, 2012, 4:43 am
It is influenced by the P-43 Lancer in FD scale. By around 1944 it was rendered obsolete, but our largest aircraft manufacturing plant was destoryed in the attack (in 1941) so it was our primary fighter until late 1943 when the facilities were back up and running. After better aircraft had been produced, it was used for observation purposes and for dogfight training back at home. After the war, the aircraft was popular with private individuals who then used the aircraft for traveling or recreational purposes (like the Cavalier Mustang).

-EZ-

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: July 12th, 2012, 4:49 am
thats what I meant by p-43 and well I'm sure you could import some P-40s for an immediate replacement though I am not positive if they would be a huge improvement It will probably be at least a bit better

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: July 12th, 2012, 4:57 am
Well, as the war escalated to a global conflict, we asked the US if they could spare some aircraft, and they gave us the P-39 Airacobra and, with the limited aivation facilites we had, we produced our own variant of it. (That will be next, as well as a Juggernaut like the P-47).

-EZ-

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: July 12th, 2012, 5:02 am
ill be really interested to see that
just remember to give the P-39 the turbo supercharger IRRC it deserved
though I may be remembering its development wrong there

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 11  [ 105 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 15 6 7 8 911 »

Jump to: